Thursday, October 22, 2009

When Friends Go To Different Places--Part 1--My Friend Louise

In a very real sense, life can be compared to the chapters in a gripping book. In my “book” there are two chapters, already written with the final edits in, about two friends of mine—Louise and Joby. Ten years ago I met Louise at cardiac rehab. She was not your typical southern belle. In fact, she hailed from New Jersey, the typical “Yankee” whose creative use of the English language would peel paint off of the wall and would cause the faint of heart to wilt. But Louise and I were friends. Early on in our relationship, she and her husband invited Trish (my wife) and I, another cardiac rehab couple and several cardiac rehab staff members to Sunday lunch in their home. We all were honored guests. Louise and I were friends.

I’ll never forget the time before we really knew each other. As I was walking on the treadmill next to Louise; her creative language was flowing; using adjectives that colored the conversation. After my time on the machine of torture (the treadmill) was over and I moved on to another piece of equipment, Louise somehow found out via a conversation with Trish that I was a pastor. “Blankety, Blank, Blank….Why didn’t you tell me Denny was a Blankety Blank minister?!!!!!!” Once my young daughter was with us at rehab and Louise was on her best behavior until she used the word, “diarrhea.” Embarrassed that she evoked that kind of language around my daughter, she quickly said with her distinct Jersey accent, “Excuuuuuse me,” and without missing a beat she kept right on talking. But Louise and I were friends.

For some time now Louise has been in the fight of her life with Leukemia; a fight she finally succumbed to early this week. Many of those who are a part of the cardiac rehab family are believers and many of them shared their faith with Louise. Her “offensive” language did not keep us from embracing her, loving her, and showing her the love of Jesus. One never knows the eternal outcome of a person’s life and response to Jesus. Did she finally bend her knee to the Savior at the end, or did she, as I fear, reject His saving grace? Louise knew I loved her. I told her often. Louise and I were friends. But I wonder if she really believed that Jesus loved her, and did she love Him? I hope Louise and Jesus were friends. I hope He is your friend too.

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.

What A Friend We Have In Jesus: Words by Joseph M. Scriven

12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.
14 "You are My friends if you do what I command you. John 15:12-14 (NASB95)

1 comment:

Nate said...

great one Denny! Very touching, thank you and keep up the good writing.
Your brother in Christ,