Monday, March 2, 2009

Psalms of Discipleship--Principle #8--Core Value: Prayer

Life Principles For Those Who Choose To Follow Jesus And Live The Discipled Life

Principle #8: The disciple of Jesus Christ has a dynamic life of prayer, marked by spiritual discipline and a firm expectation that God is at work.

Psalm 5:1-3 1 Give ear to my words, O LORD, Consider my groaning. 2 Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, For to You I pray. 3 In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.

Core Value: Prayer

Application: The quality disciple has a dynamic life of prayer, marked by spiritual discipline and a firm expectation that God is at work.
• There is a life of prayer that goes beyond the superficial. Instead, the disciple offers to the Lord a prayer that uses words (both spoken and unspoken), passionate groaning, as he or she cries for help.

• There is a life of prayer that is God-centered and not me-centered. The disciple directs his or her prayer to the Lord, to “my King and my God. For to You I pray.”

• There is a life of prayer that is driven by spiritual discipline: “In the morning I will order my prayer to You.” The disciple is willing to make a sacrifice of time.

• There is a life of prayer that is given the privilege of having a front row seat as we “eagerly watch” how God is going to work through our prayers to Him.

Reflect & Respond: Some Really Good Questions To Ponder…
When I pray, what is my expectation of the Lord? Is the foundation of my prayer life God-centered or me-centered?

What one thing can I do this week that will enhance my prayer life?

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, You offer great comfort to those who pray to You—knowing that You not only hear the deepest concerns of my heart but You also are working for Your glory and for my good. May my prayer life to You become mature as I learn to trust You more.

No comments: