Monday, February 23, 2009

Good News For The Busy Disciple

“Effective stress management requires that we be healthy in mind and spirit, not just in our bodies.” Pg. 28

“The accelerated pace of modern living tends to rob us of natural recovery time. We have shortened the night with the invention of electricity and robbed ourselves of the natural recovery time provided by horse travel. To deal with stress, we need to find equivalent ‘rest’ times throughout our day. If we don’t design it into our lifestyles, it won’t happen.” Pg. 29

Adrenaline and Stress, Archibald Hart, Word.


“Henry Nelson Weiman, one of America’s noted philosophers, once said, ‘We ought to live each moment as if all Eternity converged upon it.’ I am not sure you can live with your wick turned up that high without burning up the wick, but you can practice what Jean-Pierre de Caussade called ‘the sacrament of the present moment.’” Pg. 86

Spiritual Preparation for Christian Leadership, E. Glenn Hinson. Upper Room Books

Here is a great reminder of God’s promise for the busy disciple…

28 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest.
29 Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
30 Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG)

No comments: