Saturday, February 7, 2009

Psalms of Discipleship--Principle #2--Core Value: Bible Study

Life Principles For Those Who Choose
To Follow Jesus And Live The Discipled Life

Psalm 1:2-3 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers.

Core Value: Bible Study

Principle #2: The quality disciple places great value in spending quality time in God’s Word.


Application:

The quality disciple places great value in spending quality time in God’s Word.
• For the disciple, Bible study should never be a drudgery, an activity done out of a legalistic obligation. Spending time in God’s Word should be a delight!
• Bible study is not limited to a one-time event but has a residual effect upon the entire day—meditating on it both night and day.
• The fruit of having an ongoing experience with the Bible is spiritual growth and a prosperous life.

Reflect & Respond: Some Really Good Questions To Ponder…

Does the time I spend in the Word of God give me delight?

Is it my habit to read my Bible for information’s sake or to reflect upon what I read and see how I can apply it to my life?

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, may I always have a hunger, a longing for Your Word. May I not only look at Bible study as a necessary spiritual discipline but also see it as a way to grow in my relationship with You, becoming closer to You.

No comments: